“Recognition” is often the #1 reward people seek in their jobs, and Virginia’s Best Paving Awards recognize crews and all their hard work. Receiving an award also motivates crews and keeps people enthused about their work. Entrants also receive feedback on completed jobs – valuable information that can be used to continuously improve project management while making winning easier the next time! Finally, winning a “Virginia’s Best” Paving Award shows commitment to quality.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
1. Nomination packets are available on the VAA website and are due back by April 1.
2. Projects are nominated by contractors or owner/agency representatives
a. Comments from the owner/agency personnel will be considered during the rating process.
3. Projects are evaluated by rating teams and awards will be presented at the Virginia Asphalt Conference and Expo in early December.
4. A winner for work completed in 2018 will be selected; the winner and owner representative will be presented with an award in recognition of the best project in each category.
5. Late submittals will not be considered for this year's competition.
HOW DO I WIN?
Each category is unique in some way. Most winners, however, do the following:
1. Pay attention to detail. Even seemingly minor flaws sometimes are the difference between being a contender or a winner.
2. Ensure high-quality workmanship. Criteria include:
Uniform texture – make sure there is no segregation
Tight joints – both longitudinal and transverse
Smooth tight matches – on all intersections, curbs, and/or appurtenances
Ride! Smoothness is crucial to winning the competition
Overall appearance – layout and design will have an impact
Degree of difficulty – some jobs are tougher than others to build, and this is taken into consideration
4. Talk to crews and inspectors. Discuss the project and how everyone can work together to get a high-quality job suitable for nomination.
5. When in doubt – NOMINATE! You can’t win if you don’t enter!
AWARD CATEGORIES & DEFINITIONS
(each project can be submitted in only one category)
• Commercial – Private entities with major commercial parking lots, entry roads, industrial yards, etc.
• Roadway Paving – This category covers roadway paving projects not inspected or owned by VDOT. These projects include Municipal Streets/Roads, Military Facilities, Toll Roads, Parkways, etc. These can include two or more driving lanes with intersections, turn lanes, etc. The more complex projects will receive higher weighting by raters.
• Airfield – Airport paving can range from projects at Dulles Airport to local airfields. To evaluate the project, access to the project site must be arranged by the party who nominates these projects. If access is not available then the project will not be eligible for an award.
• Green –This will include VDOT projects as well as non-VDOT projects. The Green Project award goes to the contractor who utilized the most sustainable and/or greenest practices in a maintenance or construction project. The practices considered in this award category include: Recycled Asphalt Pavement (used above the VDOT specification limit), Recycled Asphalt Shingles (used above the VDOT specification limit), Asphalt Binder rejuvenators or modifiers such as scrap tires, Permeable and Porous Asphalt Materials, Recycled Asphalt Base Materials (i.e. Cold In-Place Recycling or Cold Plant Recycling), other “waste” materials used for AC production. Each criterion carries a rating factor. The project with the highest number of points and is exceptional in other quality indicators (i.e., ride quality, density, appearance, etc.) is the winning project.